image-text reflections

Through this entire project, I felt that I had lost the context of the film but somehow kept the content. This short film illustrates a process. The sequencing in which it takes place; a video clip of the scene, then it is turned into a paper image, then becomes part of a collage contained within a zine. And finally, you can see it as a full-page spread and how it incorporates itself in the entirety of the page. 

I used only found materials to create the full page spreads (aside from the images I printed). I searched through magazines, used graphing paper, and readings from both new media and photography coursework to create backgrounds as well as other important figures. 

I wanted some images to be extremely obvious, a picture of a cat with the letters stamped into the original zine: 'cat'. And I wanted some to be contradictory a flag that waves vibrantly states 'open'. But the letters later stamped onto the paper read 'close'. 

Inside here there is a death of the author, these images are not mine, I did record them, record sound, draw on pages, organize and compose the materials that you see, but I have been influenced by the image and text as its own. I see myself as someone who pieces together influences as opposed to someone who creates these original ideas. 






Comments

  1. I really love this zine so much! I appreciate your collage works and your style. I really wish to see the original one where you actually glue and stick everything together. I enjoy the video a lot because the process is very satisfying to watch. Keep your good work Astra!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment