barbara kruger

Through quite a bit of research, I realized how Barbara Kruger had a very intimidating depth to her practice and her artist statement. I decided to research because I am a big fan of her art, more specifically her exhibit at the Hirshhorn Museum in D.C. around 2012.
 

Kruger explores important meanings of power, pleasure, desire, and disgust in her works. She draws a lot of attention, almost jokingly, to individuals and structures that say who can have these enjoyments in life. These challenging themes put a lot of pressure on how I interpreted her works within Barthe's context. 


I really enjoyed getting to understand Kruger's body of work with a different lens through the Barthian analysis. And I suspect that it will further affect how my final project turns out. 

Comments