musica practica

"Beethoven was the first man of music to be free" (150 Barthes). I think it is important to acknowledge that he became deaf throughout his musical career. Supposedly, this creates a freeing experience for him, I wonder if Beethoven himself felt the same way. As I understand it could be freeing to have time to create and produce as opposed to consuming for a long time. 

As we consume we create appropriations of what we consume. That is what I have experienced. We are influenced by what we can actually hear and see. And in this case, you might argue that Beethoven was an original (which Barthes might disagree or reframe) because he composed using his own musical syntax. He stopped being influenced by sound itself and relied upon physical sensation. 

I am nothing like Beethoven because I will be using my ears to figure out the sound for my video, and it won't be classical. I am on the other end of the spectrum; unoriginal. 

My final project doesn't ask much of the audience. I suppose it might only make sense to someone who is familiar with Barthe's work to draw conclusions. But you can always take things out of context so there may be more sub-concepts that I created by 'mistake'. Private components for my project include editing, filming, and assembling the collages for my zine. Clearly, the components being presented to the public will be my film, but the audience will not share the long hours in the editing room with me, or the fact that I created different orientations of my zine before landing on a final project. 

Project Update

As I have said before, I didn't think about my timeline realistically. So far I am creating my zine from the images I have filmed. I am thinking about how I want to put it together now. Here are some stills I am using. 

a sign.
another sign.

I see a theme.

Comments

  1. Indeed! I didn't think that close that the main different between Beethoven and us is that he stoped getting inspiration from the world and start actually creating his own art! It is amazing how can he continue create hundreds of new pieces after years of his deaf. Through the development of other sensation, he gets to create limitless new pieces of music!

    Also, your project theme O!M!G!!! I LOVE traffic sign!! If you remember my previous class projects, I have such a huge thing for stop sign, they are everywhere, causal but powerful because they are so informative. I love TEXT!!! Excited to see more of your project!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment