death of the author

I didn't think about people as artists after I explored Barthe's text. More like creatives. There is something about what I create that follows Barthe's commentary in a literal sense: "His only power is to mix writings, to counter the ones with the others" (146). My only 'skill' is to combine images together. And not only that but everything I have ever seen before is at work in the recesses of my mind create an imprint onto other images that I collage together. 


Primarily what I do is appropriate other works. I create lots of collages on Adobe Photoshop with existing images from the public domain or free use sites. 



My final project includes this idea of the death of the author. My film takes environments and images that already exist and my zine takes these environments and puts them in a different format. So I suppose my work doesn't involve 'truth' either, just different perspectives. Which I believe Trinh Minh-ha would agree with. 


Comments

  1. death of author is also the birth of new creator! We might not be the author but we are the creators for sure! we create meaning on top of the meanings

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment