project reflection: simulation carousel image


Although I did not get to fix everything to my liking through my limited understanding of Adobe Photoshop I still was enabled to create a collage to my liking. All the images and themes are what I am reminded of by Baudrillard's Simulations. Especially now, with all that is going on in the world I am reminded that things are a sort of hyperreal. Not that I necessarily believe in everything that Baudrillard presents in his writings, but certain coincidences force me to look at what is going on through his lens.


Throughout my exploration of tutorials in Adobe Photoshop I produced a seamless, cropped image otherwise known on social media as a 'carousel' image. I chose this design because I thought of how continuous Baudrillard's theory seems, it produces quite a challenge for understanding and contemplation. 
I decided to choose images from places, shows, and other items that reminded me of Baudrillard's commentary of the simulacrum. Some notable images that I collaged together in this carousel are Rod Sterling from The Twilight Zone, a carousel horse, mixed in with a kaleidoscope-esque background, alongside ominous clouds and galaxies. 


Rod Sterling makes an appearance because of The Twilight Zone series. A series that involved a great deal of science fiction, horror, and superstition. And each episode was referenced and narrated by Sterling as he usually seemed to be in an alternate environment, the 'hyperreal' if you will. And at the end of specific episodes there would be an 'unmasking' of sorts. The people in the deep hole turned out to be toys being donated during the holidays, or the book brought to Earth by aliens "To Serve Man" turned out to be not an ethical code for the coexistence of human and extraterrestrial life but a cookbook for the alien diet. 

After creating this collage it has been a reminder to me that everything is not always what it seems to be. 



Comments

  1. I love this idea of the "carousel" image. By looking at it on Instagram, I can't see the full thing at once, which makes me want to know more. I can visualize what it would look like, but there is still a mystery attached to it. Your focus on the Twilight Zone is interesting as well - a show that has been recreated and appropriated so many times, with different actors, themes, and plots. It's a story that keeps changing and evolving, and now you've added to that timeline by creating these collages!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment