reflections on simulations [no. 10]



Baudrillard discusses war and space technology in Orbital and Nuclear and unravels the meanings behind what I will understand as his truth. Mentioned in the context is strategy, atomic arsenals, and military among other things. The hyperreal is mentioned again when explained that: "The unknown is precisely what the variable of simulation which makes the atomic arsenal itself a hyperreal form" (59 Simulations). He elaborates by stating: "A simulacrum which dominates us all and reduces" (59 Simulations). This further elaboration on the content of war actually challenge my ways of thinking. I didn't exactly think of the atomic arsenal as just a hyperreal component because of the potential ability of destruction and devastation. 


Baudrillard goes on to say that the space race and the nuclear war are quite similar. Which I understand both as some sort of a race because time was a very important component to both situations. "Every principle of meaning is absorbed, every deployment of the real is impossible" (65 Simulations). This really challenges me. The real becomes something that is purely impossible under the simulation, of course because it is a simulation. 

Project Update

I am having trouble incorporating inspiration from my muse, namely text. It is very hard to do in photoshop. I can't quite figure it out. It seems like it would be simple. For the most part my images have all been selected and I still stretching them out over ten images, which I believe is the maximum amount of photos you can put in one post on Instagram. 

Comments

  1. This brings back to his point at the beginning of the book that the 'real' is no longer real since it is a simulation.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment