the strategy of the real [no. 7]


Baudrillard talks a lot about society here in 'Strategy of the Real'. There are many parts of theory that are intertwined specifically with society, obviously but something that intrigues me is why they are intertwined with society. "Hyperreality and simulation are the deterrents of every principal and of every objective" (43 Simulations). Essentially hyperreality and simulation discourage the existence of production, wealth, value, etc. We have the illusory sensation of what is at risk and the, as Baudrillard states, 'omnipotence of manipulation'. In other words, hyperreality and simulation have unlimited power to manipulate reality. 


At least that is what I am able to understand for now. Again Baudrillard mentions the society: "What society seeks through production, and overproduction, is the restoration fo the real which escapes it" (44 Simulations). Another supposedly profound statement that challenges the idea of the real. Through supply and demand, through consumerism we try to create, form, design, and restore environments that we recognize as the real. However, we are not able to do this.

Project Update
So far I have created a single carousel that consists of five pictures but I am not happy with how they slide across so I will be redesigning them. There is the first image I made in photoshop. 



Comments

  1. I also think that simulation is manipulating the reality and then simulation becomes hyperreal. I really love your photo by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this make me start thinking about economic. Does the customers demand come out first, or the supply first, which element starts the whole circulation of buying and selling. For example, do I make an art work, then people want to buy it? or people wants to have an art piece hanging somewhere in their house, so they find me to make one for them? I don't see either way can go wrong, my question is just which makes another realized the whole situation, who should be the one that define the beginning of something?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. like, why do people know what they want before they even get in touch of the thing if the demand come out first...

      Delete

Post a Comment