allatonceness: a reflection

I have spent days editing this short video down into the small, yet loaded final product. I had trouble figuring out a sound track and adding effects. Thanks to this project I have crudely learned my way around Adobe Premiere Pro. Although I strayed from my proposal, through trials and tribulations I have finally created a result that I am happy with. 

I used many video recordings that I recorded myself but also recordings for sound and video through royalty free sources. By doing this I was enabled to create almost comical sounds of a ringtone and keyboard clacking away. The sounds that just barely match up with the motion that is on the screen. 

Throughout my recording process I took note of any time I used technology and how I used it. I branched slightly off from the idea of a global village but I still immersed my thoughts into this theme. I mainly use media to find out what is going on around the world, for example the ever publicized COVID-19 is something I have been keeping up on just to make sure it is safe enough for me to go home via airplane. I can check in with other people all around the world on my cellular phone. I also make purchases with cards made out of plastic and unlock buildings with the same plastic, without the use of a key. My short video makes me think a great deal about how I utilize technology and what it can capture, and how useless one can be without it. 

I chose to edit together many short clips because of this idea of the 'allatonceness'. I did not want the entire piece to touch on one big topic because I felt like I would have watered it down. Instead I chose to involve collections of scenes together that create smaller narratives. Yes, the overarching idea is this 'allatonceness' but there are other individual themes within the recordings. I want the short 'film' to speak partially on our identity that we expose through our presence on media. I also want it to stand for how we are in control of how we choose to disconnect but it is often not recognized as acceptable. I also want it to touch on the immediacy of media that people of the global village are exposed to. 



Comments